New Jersey Social Studies Supervisors Association Spring Meeting
May 8, 2015
NJPSA/FEA Conference Center – Monroe, NJ
Registration and breakfast
Welcome and introductions
- Opening Padlet: What are some strategies you have used or seen that improve or maintain morale among your staff? http://padlet.com/noelbaxter/morale
- Poll: Which AP courses do you offer in your department? Please take our short survey!
- Introductions of attendees
Sponsor presentation – Nicole Sheppard, Bedford, Freeman and Worth
Redesign of AP European History/Connections to AP US History
Linda Burns, Director of AP History Instructional and PD Resource Development, College Board
Discussion of Best Practices
- Share a best practice from your AP courses – how has instruction changed as a result of the redesign?
- How can/should the skills and concepts emphasized in the AP course redesigns be reflected in other courses?
- How do the skills and concepts emphasized in the redesign support implementation of Common Core? Of C-3?
- Group share-out: What lessons from your experience with AP courses can you apply broadly across your other courses?
Sponsor Presentation – Sandra Brand, Pearson
- Election – N. Baxter
- Google Group/Listserve
- Logistics of membership and registrations – S. Maher
- NJSSSA Elementary Social Studies Meeting – N. Baxter
- NJCSS Professional Development – B. Cameron
- NJCSS Fall Conference – proposal deadline is June 1 – N. Baxter
- Mock Election – R. O’Dell
- Submission of testimony about testing – K. Fox
- NJPSA meeting on evaluations – K. Fox
- Pre-service event was cancelled – N. Baxter
Policy Updates and Advocacy – Debra Bradley, NJPSA director of government relations
Fox and K. Dennison